CCES coordinates two energy bill assistance programs for low-income Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Mateo county residents:
1)The Home Energy Assistance Program(HEAP) provides payment assistance with home energy bills. The one time per calendar year payment varies depending on income, household size, and funding. Households facing shutoff (customer has received 15-day or 48-hour notice) may receive immediate help at emergency service sites centrally located in San Mateo, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties. Applicants should call our 1-888-728-3637 toll-free number for current locations and hours.
2) California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) is a discount rate program offered by PG&E which gives eligible low-income households a 20% discount on their energy bill.
HEAP Eligibility Guidelines* (eligibility in HEAP is determined by the last 30 days of income) Monthly income cannot exceed:
1 person - $2,700
2 persons - $3,531
3 persons - $4,361
4 persons - $5,192
5 persons - $6,023
6 persons - $6,854
7 persons - $7,010
8 persons - $7,166
9 persons - $7,321
10 persons - $7,477
11 persons - $7,633
12 persons - $7,789
13 persons - $7,944
14 persons - $8,100
15 persons - $8,256
*HEAP eligibility guidelines may change depending on funding.
CARE Eligibility Guidelines (eligibility in CARE is determined by the last 12 months of income) Annual income cannot exceed:
1-2 persons - $39,440 or less
3 persons - $49,720 or less
4 persons - $60,000 or less
5 persons - $70,280 or less
6 persons - $80,560 or less
7 persons - $90,840 or less
8 persons - $101,120 or less
9 persons - $111,400 or less
10 persons - $121,680 or less
The 1-888-728-3637 line works 24 hours a day and customers need only leave their name, address, and phone number to receive an application and instructions by mail within two to four working days.
HEAP applicants may be eligible for Weatherization Services. Energy efficiency-improving measures are done in the home to reduce energy costs. This program is available to renters as well as homeowners. Owners of rental property are not charged when these services are provided for their tenants. Weatherization services may include:
• Heating and gas appliance safety and efficiency inspection with possible repair or replacement of existing systems.
• On-site home inspection to determine energy losses.
• In-house crew implementation for installation of energy conservation and heat loss measures.
• Post work inspection of quality, safety, and client satisfaction
Other Services Available!
• Balanced Payment Plan
• Medical Baseline Program
• Energy Conservation Education
• Consumer Rights
• Rebate Programs
CCES's Home Energy Assistance Program, through the sponsorship of the City of Watsonville, is offering FREE low-flow toilets for your home or business. We will replace older high water use toilets with low-flow toilets free of charge. We can also install faucet aerators and low-flow showerheads. These money saving devices are offered to all residents and businesses whose water service is provided by the City of Watsonville in an effort to help us all conserve our natural resources.
How to tell if your toilet is low-flow:
• Older toilets use from 3.5 to 7 gallons. If it is not marked 1.6 Gpf it is not a low-flow toilet.
• If the toilet has not been changed since 1992 it is not a low-flow toilet.
• If you’re not sure, call us and we can assist you.
If your water service is provided by the City of Watsonville and your toilet is not low-flow, simply complete the toilet exchange application (Water Demand Reduction Form) and have the landlord or property owner sign it, giving us authorization to change out your toilet(s). Please mail it back in the attached envelope as soon as you can and we will call you to set-up an appointment.